Friday, February 6, 2009

The Early Bird Special


Today, while my girls were outside in the P.E. field, an eagle flew overhead and lost his grip on dinner. A Florida bass about 12 inches long landed right at the girls' feet. I've never seen teen girls so excited about cleaning out fish guts, cooking, or wanting to eat fish for dinner.
Apparently, the principal food for bald eagles is fish, which the birds seize by using their strong talons to take their prey from the water. Also, eagles are not above stealing food from other raptors such as ospreys. Scientists have observed eagles "harassing" ospreys to force them to drop freshly caught fish that the eagles then snatch in mid-air. I'm not sure how this eagle got his dinner, but these four girls at the center are thrilled about how they got theirs!

6 comments:

  1. That's just ridiculous. SERIOUSLY?!?! ...I'm equally impressed and disgusted. That's the kind of thing I would marvel at and then promptly throw in the trash. Who knows where those talons have been? Oh my, I'm getting dizzy.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, the eagles had large talons? Napoleon might be interested...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i had talons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grooooooss, they ATE the fish after picking it up after the ground, AFTER the eagle lost it from its talons? LOL that's disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So yes I'm late to this, but ummmm, I think I'm with Cheryl. Bird flu comes to mind, and then there's bird poo also. But it is rather cool when dinner literally drops at your feet. I'd rather have it in a "to go" container from Chili's but whatever floats your boat. Good thing it wasn't a cow that dropped, I mean, just because it's a land animal of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They decided to fix their hair and make-up instead, and didn't end up eating it. It turned out there was a concert or something to go to in Orlando that night. :-)

    ReplyDelete